The Kenyan football scene is once again in a circus after a section of clubs failed to sign the Startimes broadcast deal given to them by the Football Kenya Federation.
Gor Mahia has been one of the teams that were against the deal after some of their demands were not met with their chairman Ambrose Rachier holding a presser on Tuesday evening to update the club fans about the stand of the club.
- The position of Gor Mahia Football Club with regard to the broadcast rights which is supported by the Executive Committee or fans and supports and which is known to the Football Kenya Federation Startimes Media Limited and the general public is that the club owns such rights as its intellectual property and it’s only the club that has the locus standi or legal authority to cede them or grant them to a third party.
- Any other Football club has a similar authority to cast away such rights i.e. accordance with its constitution or statutes.
- The Football Kenya Federation has no authority whatsoever to enter into any contract with any person purporting to grant such party our broadcast rights. Article 81 of the Football Kenya Federation constitution does not confer this rights
- It is for this reason that the Football Kenya Federation has been cajoling, coercing and blackmailing Kenyan Premier League clubs into endorsing such rights to Startimes Media
- We have remained adamant in our position and that is why this morning by whatever means employed they procured our Secretary-General Samuel Ochola Kwenda to purport to issue Startimes an endorsement which all the members of the Executive Committee had recanted.
- Article 15 of the Gor Mahia Football Club constitution provides that all contractual documents entered into by the club must be signed by the Chairman. Mr OIchola very knowingly this position proceeded to write an unauthorized letter of endorsement to Startimes media to purport to give away our rights then went underground
- We have written to Startimes Media withdrawing this letter and our stand remains as before
- Disciplinary action has already been taken against errant Secretary-General
- I have already briefed our club patron Honorable Raila Amollo Odinga of these happenings.